Posts for tag: Wisdom Teeth
What your dentists in Santa Rosa Beach, FL, want you to know about tooth extractions
Deciding when and why to have a tooth extracted can be a daunting decision, and it’s one you shouldn’t make alone. The truth is there are definite reasons to have a tooth removed. Your dentists, Drs. Michael O’Donnell and Chris Farrugia, at Great Florida Smiles & Orthodontics, want to share the facts about when an extraction is necessary. They have two convenient office locations in Santa Rosa Beach, and DeFuniak Springs, FL, to help with your dental care needs.
Pain can be one of the most common reasons you might need a tooth removed. Sometimes pain can be relieved with a dental filling, crown, or root canal treatment. Severe pain that isn’t relieved by conventional dental treatment is often a precursor to removing a tooth.
Some of the most common reasons teeth are extracted include:
- Dental trauma due to an accident or injury
- Dental decay which has destroyed large amounts of tooth structure
- Tooth damage that can’t be repaired with a filling or crown
- A failed root canal or a split tooth root
Pain is not always a symptom of the need for extraction. There are also many non-painful reasons to have a tooth removed. You may need a dental extraction if you:
- Are having your teeth straightened with orthodontics
- Have an impacted tooth that won’t erupt even with orthodontic treatment
Third molars, or wisdom teeth, are the most common type of dental extraction. Erupting wisdom teeth can sometimes cause pain when they press against your other teeth, however, there may be no symptoms at all. In addition to pressure and pain, other reasons to remove wisdom teeth include:
- Inadequate space in your jaw for the teeth to erupt
- Impaction and the potential for cyst formation
- Inability to keep the area clean because the teeth are too far back
Bone loss due to periodontal disease is another common reason why a tooth may need to be extracted. Bacteria associated with periodontal disease can destroy the bone surrounding a tooth, causing the tooth to become loose and ineffective at chewing. Removing the diseased tooth can help your other teeth.
If you think your tooth might need to be removed, seek out the services of an expert. Call your dentists, Drs. Michael O’Donnell and Chris Farrugia at Great Florida Smiles & Orthodontics, with offices in Santa Rosa Beach, and DeFuniak Springs, FL. They can help you keep your smile healthy, so call today!