Posts for tag: Periodontal Disease Therapy
Gum disease is a problem for nearly half of American adults and about 38 percent of adults struggle with moderate to severe periodontitis according to CDC statistics. This disease poses a significant risk to a patient’s oral health. The solution for many patients is periodontal disease therapy, a treatment offered at Great Florida Smiles & Orthodontics in DeFuniak Springs and Santa Rosa Beach, FL.
Understanding Periodontal Disease
Periodontitis is not something that you should ignore, as it can ultimately lead to tooth loss. It is a very aggressive form of gum disease that is caused by poor dental hygiene and specific strains of harmful bacteria. First, the bacterium irritates the gum line, eventually separating it from the tooth surfaces. It then attacks the bone tissue, ultimately leading to tooth loss if the diseased matter isn’t removed. One of the first signs of periodontal disease is red, painful, bleeding gums.
Therapy for periodontal disease is aimed at getting the bad bacteria under control so that new healthy gum tissue can emerge. These are the common steps that your DeFuniak Springs and Santa Rosa Beach dentist will take to stop and reverse the damage caused by periodontitis:
- Scaling and root planing, which removes harmful plaque from beneath the gumline.
- Periodontal surgery (flaps are exposed to surgically remove diseased tissue).
- Gum grafting to restore lost gum tissue.
- Laser treatment to get rid of bad tissue without the need for surgery.
- Dental implantation if periodontal therapy doesn’t work for every tooth.
Protecting Your Gum Health in the Future
The health of your gums is just as important as the health of your teeth—they support each other. Follow these tips to keep your gums healthy and free from disease:
- Floss more, as this is the main preventive step you can take to avoid gum disease.
- See your dentist at least every three months after periodontal therapy for a thorough cleaning.
- Ask your dentist if you can benefit from using an oral antiseptic like a chlorhexidine rinse.
Get on the Road to Healing
Your gums will need ample time to heal after periodontal disease therapy by your DeFuniak Springs and Santa Rosa Beach, FL dentist. Start the process by scheduling an examination at Great Florida Smiles & Orthodontics. Call (850) 622-5888 or (850) 892-2500 today to make time with Dr. Michael O'Donnell or Dr. Chris Farrugia.